Friday, May 21, 2010

★For Matrimonial Purposes Review★


Although there are a lot of negative comments about this book on Amazon.com, I for one loved it. I found it in the library while I was browsing, and I was really excited when I found this one. Indian novels being one of my favorite subjects of literature, I couldn't wait to sink my claws into this.
As soon as I started reading this book I knew I wouldn't be able to put it down. The story follows a young lady named Anju, an independent Indian girl living in New York city away from her family in Bombay. While she lives away from her home country she still wants to stick to the tradition of finding a husband and settling down like all of her past friends who still live in Bombay. I related to this character because I am half Japanese and I feel the same struggle of not wanting to stray from the Japanese way while being influenced by western culture.
The down side to this story in my opinion, was that it was a hurried ending. The story took a long time to unfold, and then it suddenly ended. Again, I enjoyed the novel very much and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in this subject matter, but there were some downsides to it. It was a very easy read, and if you are looking for an in depth description of Indian culture this book probably won't fit the bill. But I say go for it! :D

No comments: