Thursday, April 1, 2010

★The Devouring review★


Hey guys, I just got done reading The Devouring by Simon Holt! Let me just say, that it did NOT take me long to zip through this book. It was an incredibly easy concept to grasp and it was very easy to read (I'm not complaining). It was a nice change from reading complicated text books for school haha. But anywho, The Devouring was a pretty good book. It's suppose to be a "horror" fiction, but it wasn't so scary that I couldn't read it, and I'm a wimp XD.

The story was about a freshman girl named Reggie "battling" an evil spirit(?) that lives on people's fears and posses bodies. It is personal for her because a vour(the evil thing) takes over her little brother's body. Reggie and her friends (Aaron and her boss Eben) research the ancient Vour and try to get the thing out of her brother. As the vour takes over a body, the person's soul goes to a place called the fearscape and goes through horrific and scary things forever while their life is lived out by the vour D: ugh that is so creepy.

As for the characters, I wasn't too fond of Reggie (just sayin, :/ I thought the way she rationalized things was dumb), but I did like a lot of the other characters, especially her little brother. The whole idea of the book was centered around fear, and I think the author emphasized in a clear manner. Holt really described things to get a good visual of what was going on without using too much detail (some authors go seriously over the top with DETAILS D: ), which I loved. It was a no non-sense story that dove straight into what was happening with little bits of mystery that was nice and exciting. Most of the time it kept me reading at the edge of my seat and I would definitely recommend this (it's probably going to my sister next lol), and I'll get the next book when I have the chance/money. Until then, I'll keep RxR!

No comments: